The upsurge in sexual violence in recent times is alarming, although Rape cases is not limited to Nigeria alone. 80 % of rape cases are known by the victims, meaning the victims know their perpetrators.
Recently, women and young girls fear for their lives as there is no safe haven in the country. While some blame it on declining moral values in the society, failure in parental responsibilities, adolescent is led into sexual promiscuity by per influence, some are told without premarital sexual intercourse, boys would end up with small testicles and not able to perform well when married. Another revealing myth during this research is, some HIV infectious men hold the beliefs that if they have sex with a virgin, they would be cured of AIDS. We are bombarded by modernizing influences, from novel, books, magazines, television, music all propagating sex. The internet has not helped either, pornographic movies which readily available with no age restrictions. After being captured by immorality, the man has no place than to unleash the demon in him but on an innocent lady. The have government is treating this ravaging pandemic with kids’ glove, has there have been little implementation of effective policies that treat sexual violence as a serious crime, hence perpetrators tend to walk free.
While we are yet to understand the dynamics of rapists and their motives, its best for us to stay safe and be on the alert.
Tips for Ladies
• Always be aware of your surroundings
• Don’t entertain unsolicited touch, or inappropriate sexual gestures by male folks. Address it immediately once you feel your personal space has been invaded.
• Learn how to defend yourselves, self defense classes would help
• Be wary of strange men who ask for help. Don’t give rides to strangers and don’t invite them to your home particularly if you stay alone.
• Wear jean trousers when traveling particularly road trips, as am yet to understand why some ladies wear gowns and short skirts, there could be a break down of vehicle or robbery don’t make yourself susceptible.
• Always park cars and stay in a lighted areas.
• Let someone know where you are going to, possible give address and phone number. Also, let the person be aware that you told some about you coming to visit
• If your car breaks down at night call for help, if it’s not forth coming, leave and go get help, don’t stay there.
• Don’t put yourself in harms way, by going to sleep in a man’s house thinking nothing would happen, trust is over rated.
• Dress decently and appropriately as it suits the occasion. The truth is we have animals walking around looking for who to devour, don’t make yourself a prey.