“Fear is only as deep as long as the mind allows” -Chinese proverb
The world often places a high value on bravery and not being afraid. However, fear is a natural human emotion that we’re all born with. In fact, fear works a bit like an instinct that helps to protect us from things that can harm us. However, Fear is powerful enough to keep us from achieving our goals and living our best lives. It feeds stagnation and keeps us from taking advantage of opportunities. Many people are living in the self-made prisons of their own fears. So, it’s about time we don’t eliminate our fears and no longer tolerate them.
For example, it’s perfectly normal to experience fear when you encounter a barking dog, but fear go beyond situations that would cause most, people to be afraid. Fear can significantly impact everyday life and interfere with normal activities. When people are afraid, they tend to avoid things and situations related to their fears. If you have a phobia of dogs, you might avoid going outside because you worry about running into a dog. Likewise, people with a phobia of heights, might avoid going places where they would be forced to climb.
No matter your age, you’ll never overcome a fear holding you back by walking away from it. Take courage and focus on what the fear will bring your way and you’ll be truly unstoppable.
What is fear? As they would say False Evidence Appearing Real
Fear can be broken down into 3 levels
- The surface story which happens to everybody is further divided into 2 parts:
|Those that happens and you have no control about it||Those that require us to take actions|
|Aging||Going back to school|
|Being alone||Making decisions|
|Dying||Changing a career|
|Accidents||Ending or beginning a relationship|
|Loss of a loved one||Losing weight|
- The second level of fear have to do with the inner state of our mind. They reflect your sense of self and your ability to handle the world and its affects everything around you, because they involve your ego.
- Fear of Rejection it affects your relationship with people
- Fear of failure so you don’t bother trying
- Loss of image
“Fear is never a reason for quitting it’s only an excuse”-Norman Vincent Peale
Don’t think it’s possible to ignore fear. We can try to repress it, but that proves impossible in the long run. We can, however, ignore our instincts and our intuition, and this often results in missed opportunities, actions we aren’t proud of, or even physical peril in extreme cases.
- Anytime you feel fear, instead of ignoring it or trying to hide from it, acknowledge it and identify why you are afraid.
- Identifying the fear and understanding why it has arisen is the first step in eliminating it.
- Go all out and fix it by doing something about it. Afterall, pushing through fear is less frightening than living with the underlying fear that comes from a feeling of helplessness
- So, what are you afraid of? Make a list of all the things that you can think of that you’re afraid of, categorizing them and work out modalities for fixing them to achieve your goals.